Associate Scientific Director
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for an Associate Director , Global Discovery Bioanalysis located in Beerse, Belgium.
The successful candidate will lead a team based in Beerse, Belgium under the Global Discovery Bioanalysis group within the Bioanalytical Discovery and Development Sciences (BDDS) organization. The Global Discovery Bioanalysis group develops fit for purpose methods to provide PK, ADA, “omics”, target protein, target engagement, and biomarker data to meet the fast-paced requirements of therapeutic discovery teams across all therapeutic areas and modalities. The candidate will lead the on-site discovery bioanalysis team to provide appropriate bioanalytical support for discovery programs. The candidate will play a central role to define discovery stage bioanalytical strategies and develop methods using various techniques (e.g. hybrid LC-MS, -omics, immunoassays) to answer critical questions related to PK/PD, mechanism of action, target characterization, and biomarker identification and quantitation. They will also lead lab expansion efforts to establish platform and automation capabilities for bioanalytical investigation of therapeutics, targets and biomarkers based on capacity and discovery site strategies. The candidate will help establish workflows for process optimization and global harmonization to improve overall discovery bioanalysis efficiency and effectiveness. In addition, the team lead will need to partner closely with on-site teams in the Therapeutics Discovery, Therapeutic Areas, and Preclinical Safety and Translational Sciences (PSTS) organizations. The leader will also interface with the Beerse site BDDS teams (PK Development and Immunogenicity & Molecular Biology) to ensure adequate project resourcing and timely deliverables.
The scope of this role will include:
· Leadership of the discovery bioanalysis team in Beerse, BE, ensuring that the group provides prioritized bioanalytical support of discovery programs across modalities and therapeutic areas aligned with the rapid turn-around times required in discovery. The leader is expected to know the local programs and influence the discovery of novel therapeutics through bioanalytical data.
· Drive team efforts focused on process optimization and harmonization in coordination with the global discovery BA team.
· Lead scientific and strategic aspects of site-specific bioanalytical method development activities to address critical questions for early discovery and non-clinical stage projects.
· Assess bioanalytical platforms, establish new methodologies (e.g. ligand binding and PCR), and lead the assessment of emerging technologies to define appropriate bioanalytical capabilities based on anticipated capacity and discovery site strategies.
· Provide input on discovery bioanalysis budget, resource, and outsourcing strategy.
· Interact and influence key partners (i.e. Translational Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamics & Investigative Toxicology, Nonclinical Safety, Therapeutics Discovery, Therapeutic Area, Development Bioanalysis groups etc.) to address key project and/or platform questions and contribute to strategic discussions toward lead candidate selection.
· Responsible for people development of all employees aligned with their development plans including pipeline innovation and associated publications and meeting presentations.
· Developing strong external presence in Europe to share and learn from best discovery bioanalytical practices across industry.
· Ensure DDI compliance with cross-site bioanalytical guidelines and workflow practices.
· Bringing innovative ideas including automation into discovery workflows for cross-site implementation
· PhD in Pharmacology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline with of 8+ years or MS with 10+ years in pharmaceutical research and development
· Strong scientific background and understanding regarding implementation of bioanalytical strategy based on project or modality-specific requirements
· Proven track record implementation and execution of advanced bioanalytical techniques and platforms to address critical questions related to ADME and pharmacokinetics
· Extensive experience in small molecule LC-MS bioanalysis, large molecule bioanalysis (hybrid LC-MS or immunoassay), and biomarker (small and large molecules) quantitation
· Experience in quantitative -omics approaches (e.g. metabolomics, lipidomics, proteomics, etc.)
· Prior managerial experience leading a team
· Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and ability to work across internal or external teams in a matrixed environment
· Experience in pharmaceutical drug discovery research
· Experience in novel modalities such as antibody-drug conjugates, oligonucleotides, and gene therapy platforms
· Experience with broad range of bioanalytical instruments (e.g. mass spec, nanoLC, microLC) and associated software
· Experience implementing artificial intelligence/machine learning applications
· Understanding bioanalysis industry practices and regulatory requirements and guidance
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.