Systems Engineer for Space Exploration (M/F)
The work location is in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The position is in the Systems Department, as part of the Future Projects and Exploration Team.
The candidate will mainly report to Future Projects and Exploration Team Lead.
The start date is at the earliest.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Support and Lead scientific and engineering studies related to future human spaceflight and exploration of the solar system
- Develop missions, systems and concepts of operation for exploration systems and payloads
- Design systems across multiple phases of their lifecycle (e.g. requirements engineering, design trade-offs, mission analysis)
- Provide system engineering expertise for the definition, development and testing of the following products in on-going projects:
- Electro-mechanical and chemical processing payloads for exploration and In-Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU) –ALCHEMIST (ESA ISRU Demonstration Mission)
- Earth-based reactors and facilities for the production of Oxygen from Lunar regolith – ISRULAB (ESA ISRU Ground-based research investment and utilisation)
- Manage mission and system requirements
- Support the designing, prototyping, prototype assessment, functional verification and optimisation of subsystems
- Liaise with subcontractors, suppliers, customers, as well as internal discipline experts
- Prepare technical responses to Invitations to Tender
- Be responsible for the delivery of technical products for assigned projects
- Perform other assignments as required.
Skills and Experience
- A University degree in Aerospace, Systems, Mechanical, Electrical, Process Engineering or related discipline
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of space systems engineering
- Experience with the system development cycle, from feasibility studies to qualification and production
- Excellent organisational and communication (documentation, presentation, interpersonal) skills
- Passion for the mission and willingness to grow and thrive with the company
- Ability to synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Ability to adhere to strict standards of confidentiality and deadlines
- Ability to work in distributed international teams
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility and capability of assimilating new knowledge quickly
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Considered as Assets
- Experience with/in:
- Project management, conducting trade-off studies, leading or participating in integrated tests, professional design of mining equipment, or chemical process engineering
- Either performing or supporting the development of thermal and structural designs for spacecraft/payload or complex Earth-based systems, and CAD modelling experience (e.g. Solidworks).
- Knowledge of:
- International spaceflight programmes, spaceflight standards (ECSS/NASA), systems engineering processes (e.g. MBSE) and tools (e.g. MATLAB/Simulink, STK, FreeFlyer)
- Geology/Earth/Lunar/Physical, Space Resources, tribology, materials science.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programme.
Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. From our headquarters, we are in daily contact with the International Space Station (ISS) ensuring our Customers’ research is successful.
___________________________________How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) via our website (www.spaceapplications.com), to the attention of Mr. Diego Urbina.
Applications received through the “Careers” page of our website are reviewed in priority.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.